martes, 17 de abril de 2018

Ruin and Rising - Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha trilogy #3) [Review]



Title: Ruin and Rising
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Publishing date: June 17th 2014
Pages: 422
Rating
★★★★☆

Previous reviews:



Hello! Today I’m reviewing Ruin and Rising, the third and final book of the Grisha trilogy.

I was hesitant to continue with the trilogy because I didn’t like Siege and Storm at all, but I already had the book, so I gave it a try.

Mal.
The book starts just where the second one ended, with Alina weak and defeated hiding from
the Darkling, she has lost her power and has been undergrounds for a while, so the book is a bit slow at the beginning but then the pace pick up when Alina, Mal and company decide to leave the Apparat and look for the help of Nikolai, who they don’t even know if he’s alive or not.

I know a lot of people love Nikolai, but I wasn’t fond of him in the previous book. I thought he only served with the purpose of being a powerful ally to Alina and an obstacle in her relationship with Mal, but I liked him more in this book, I think his character developed a lot.  

I’ve never been a fan of Alina, in my fist review I said I liked her because she wasn’t the typical perfect character, but she became annoying in my opinion, she is kind of selfish and power hungry, and I felt she created obstacles between her and others, mainly Mal.


In my previous reviews I said I didn’t like Mal at all, he is way too perfect to be realistic and I don’t even know why he likes Alina. In this book a reason is given as a “maybe this is why they like each other” and as Alina and Mal spent more time together, I think their relationship became more believable, and I started liking him.

This book was hard to put down, as I said it was a bit slow and even depressing at first, but then it picked up speed, and it remained like that until the end. There are many answers and revelations, and more action in comparison with the previous one. There’s always something happening… and also there is more death.

I swear if I were Alina I would chose the darkling. Last December I met Leigh Bardugo, and asked her for a song to listen while reading this book in particular, she told me she considered “Runing down the hill” by Placebo as the Darkling’s theme song. I listened to that song each time he appeared in the book and it was a cool experience that made me love him more. There is so much sexual tension between him and Alina that I didn’t see between her and any other love interest. 

Alina and the Darkling
I sympathized more with the Darkling in this book because he appears more human, he is still crazy, power hungry, and bad, but we get to know why he acts that way and what is what he really wants and why.

I had some trouble with the end of the book and the story. During the whole book I was waiting for a big and epic battle between Alina and the Darkling, two equals with opposite powers fighting against each other… but what I got wasn’t like what I was hoping for.

I must admit I didn’t see that ending coming; it was quite a surprise but was a good and satisfactory end for the story.

Ruin and rising is a good finale for an interesting fantasy trilogy, it’s concrete and leaves no room for sequels, but it’s open to spin offs, like “King of Scars,” the next Leigh Bardugo book that’ll focus on Nikolai.

If you have read the first two books of this trilogy, you should finish it, this book is interesting, action packed, romance packed, and we get answers and a good conclusion. If you haven’t started this trilogy, you should give it a try if you are looking for an interesting fantasy adventure with a rich magic system, wonderful setting and a sexy villain.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario