martes, 15 de agosto de 2017

Event: My Experience at San Diego Comic Con 2017 / Sunday, July 23.

Hi! It’s been a while since my last post, this time I’ll talk about my experience at comic con this year.
Marissa Meyer (Renegades, The Lunar Chronicles)

 
I only attended one day, Sunday, the last day when everything is cheaper but there are less signings and the con ends earlier. Several days before the con, I made a budget and listed the book related events I wanted to attend.

I did not attend any panels because as I only had one day to enjoy the con, I wanted to explore the exhibit hall as much as possible, but I would attend some post-panel signings.  

I arrived exactly at 9:00 am and picked up my con bag, left a backpack with wells in the coat check with some books inside, and started my adventure in the exhibit hall.

Marie Lu (Legend, The Young Elites, Warcross)
The first signing I had planned was Sarah Khun, author of Heroine Complex. The signing would be held at the exhibit hall from 10:30 am to 11:30 am. When the time arrived I got lost and couldn’t find the booth, when I finally did I noticed they were only selling a special box that contained the second book, and other bookish things, but the price was $60, so I went to a bookstore booth named Mysterious Galaxy to buy the book, but turned out Mysterious Galaxy had signed copies of the book, all the copies they had were signed so I thought I could postpone buying it to buy another book and buy it signed later in their store.

The second signing I planned to attend to was Pierce Brown’s (Red Rising trilogy), that would be held at Del Rey booth from 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. It was a ticketed event, first come first serve. I got a ticket and waited in line for half an hour but the line didn’t move, I only moved 2 people, so I left because other signing was approaching.


Madeleine Roux (Asylum, House of Furies)
The third signing I planned to attend was the Monsters, Mayhem, Magic, and Machines for the Next Generation signing held in the Autographing Area from 12:15 pm to 1:15 pm. the authors at that signing were Armand Baltazar (Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the Vastlantic), Madeleine Roux (House of Furies), Marie Lu (Warcross), Marissa Meyer (Renegades), Amanda Foody (Daughter of the Burning City), Christina Henry (Lost Boy), and Cecil Castellucci (Shade the Changing Girl). 

On my way to the autograph area I bought the trilogy Legend by Marie Lu, and had already
with me Wires and Nerve and the Lunar Chronicles Coloring Book. While I was in line I bought The Young Elites by Marie Lu and Asylum by Madeleine Roux, and also received arcs of Timeless: Diego and the Rangers of the
Leigh Bardugo (The Grisha, Six of Crows)
Vastlantic
by Armand Baltazar, and Don’t Cosplay with my Heart by Cecil Castelluci. Everyone was really nice, but as there were so many authors in the table, and a lot of people in line, I couldn’t talk that much with them, but they were super nice and let me took their picture, thou I didn’t had the courage to ask them to take a pic with me because I’m not photogenic.

 
I got lost and then returned to the coat check to leave my books and pick up the ones I had in that backpack. I had planned to attend to the Fantasy Literature signing with Gail Carriger (Parasol Protectorate), Robin Hobb (Assassin's Apprentice), Seanan McGuire (October Daye), Mary Pearson (Remnant Chronicles), and Henry Herz (Cap'n Rex & His Clever Crew), but in the end I was too tired for being walking all the time and sat a little to rest.

Michael Dante DiMartino (Rebel Genius,
Avatar the Last Airbender, Avatar the Leyend
of Korra)
The next and final signing I was interested in was Fantasy, Diversity, and Inspiring One Another, with Leigh Bardugo (Six of Crows) and Michael Dante DiMartino (Rebel Genius / co-creator of Avatar the Last Airbender and Avatar the Legend of Korra). It would take place in the autograph area from 2:45 pm to 3:45 pm. When I got there I was the second in line, Bardugo arrived first and then the staff started telling her that the signing wouldn’t be there, she got kind of upset and as more people started to arrive to make line, she asked if they could start already because she was tired. While waiting for a resolution I got the arc of Bardugo’s upcoming novel, Wonder Woman Warbringer. Both authors, Bardugo and DiMartino, got in place in their table and told us that they would sign our stuff, but quickly
before they had to move. While waiting I heard that there was a mix up and there was a big line for DiMartino’s signing in other table of the autograph area. I looked at the schedule in the comic-con page, and turns out Michael Dante DiMartino had two signings scheduled at the same time, the one with Bardugo and another one alone. I got my books signed chatted with them briefly, and left.

 
I spent the rest of the day forming in whatever line I saw and got several freebies, free books and some of them signed.

It was awesome, but the sad part was going home because carrying 21 books in public transportation is not an easy task. I hope to attend two days next year J


Here is a picture of my comic-con haul: 

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario